Written by Andy Gurczak

April 8, 2022

Vacant and Unoccupied Home Insurance

Homeowners may experience situations in which they leave their homes for an extended period of time. For example, they may have a vacation home at the beach in which they stay the entire summer. Or they moved to a new house but have not yet sold their other house. In any event, homeowners who may leave their homes for more than a few weeks may need vacant and unoccupied home insurance coverage.

What is Vacant Home Insurance?

Standard homeowners’ insurance covers losses to a homeowner who lives in a house which a storm damaged or in which a fire occurred. However, vacant property poses a greater risk of loss to insurance carriers. If a home is vacant and a pipe bursts, the burst pipe and resultant water damage may not be discovered for days or weeks. Likewise, if a fire starts in a vacant or unoccupied home, no one is there to alert the fire department. 

Therefore, property insurance companies see an unoccupied and vacant home as being a greater insurance risk than occupied homes.

How Long Can I Leave My Home Unoccupied?

Typically, home insurance company policies exclude losses to homes in which the home was vacant for over 30 days. As another example, for other insurance companies, the exclusion begins after 60 days. Therefore, if your home is going to be vacant or unoccupied for more than your policy permits, you can check with your insurance agent to see if your company offers vacant house insurance.

What is the Difference Between Vacant and Unoccupied Insurance?

There actually is a big difference between the two terms in property insurance. A vacant home is one that is empty of all belongings of the occupants. Therefore, there are no chairs, couches, rugs, appliances, etc. In other words, there are no items in the home that you would expect to see if the home was regularly occupied. 

A house could be vacant because the owners moved their possessions to a new house and the vacant house is on the market.

As another example, a house could undergo extensive renovations. The occupants removed all furniture, appliances and other personal property to a storage facility.

On the other hand, an insurance company views a house that still has the belongings of the owners in the house as unoccupied. In the example at the top of the page, the summer vacation home probably has furniture, appliances and summer clothes in closets. Therefore, an insurance company would consider that home unoccupied.

Another big difference is that vacant home insurance is more expensive than unoccupied home insurance. Insurance companies view vacant homes as bigger risks for vandalism, theft, water damage, etc.

Most insurance companies offer coverage for vacant home and unoccupied home losses. In fact, they offer these insurance products either as a separate policy or as an endorsement to a standard home insurance policy.  

If Your Homeowners’ Insurance Company Will Not Offer Coverage Your Loss, Call AllCity Adjusting

We are a family-owned claims company with five decades of combined adjusting experience. As a result, if there’s one thing we understand, it’s that you need 100% of your claim value.

At AllCity Adjusting we work to ensure you get 100% of your damage claim value. Equally important, with over 50 years of combined adjusting experience, we know insurance companies and understand where they cut corners. 

Is Your Insurance Company Denying Coverage for Damage to Your Vacation Home?

If your insurance company won’t cover losses to your vacation home because you weren’t there often enough, call AllCity Adjusting first. We can review your insurance policy to see if there is a legitimate exclusion for your claim. 

If not, we can contact the insurance adjuster to tell him why he is wrong. We can then negotiate the settlement for you you deserve. 

Therefore, if you have received a low-ball offer from the insurance company, or they are outright denying your claim, call us at 844.692.3587. Or you can email us at info@allcityadhjusting.com.

free claim review

Best way to beat the insurance company is to hire AllCity Adjusting

At AllCity Adjusting we help residential and commercial clients alike get the claims support they need. Moreover, we have over 50 years of combined experience helping get our clients the max settlement time and time again. If your claim has been low balled or denied entirely we can help increase your maximum settlement. Call us today for a FREE consultation. Experience the AllCity difference.

public adjusting call support

Real Support When You Need It!

Salvageable v. Non-Salvageable Property After a Fire

Salvageable v. Non-Salvageable Property After a Fire

If a fire has occurred at your home, your first concern, of course, is the safety of yourself and your family. However, depending on the extent of the fire damage, you will have to resolve the issue of salvageable v. non-salvageable property after a fire. Homeowners’ insurance protects your home itself (Dwelling Coverage) and its contents (Personal Property Coverage). High heat, smoke, and soot can cause extensive damage to your personal property, such as clothes, furniture, hardwood floors, and appliances. For instance, smoke damage causes fabrics, clothes, and soft goods to reek of the smell of smoke. Additionally, smoke and soot can discolor objects and reduce the life span of electronics and machinery. Consequently, you and your insurance company will have to determine which personal property is salvageable v. non-salvageable property after a fire.

Actual Cash Value v. Replacement Cost Value

Actual Cash Value v. Replacement Cost Value

Many homeowners never read their homeowners’ insurance policy. Then a covered loss, like a fire or hurricane, causes extensive damage to the home and contents. Of course, the homeowner files a claim with her insurance company. Eventually, the homeowner gets a claim settlement offer from the home insurance company. However, only then does the homeowner learn the difference between actual cash value v. replacement cost value coverage.

What is an Appraisal Clause in an Insurance Policy?

What is an Appraisal Clause in an Insurance Policy?

Water damage insurance claims are some of the most frequent home insurance claims that homeowners file. However, homeowner insurance does not cover all types of damages caused by water. Therefore, handling water damage insurance claims requires the homeowner to be careful and diligent before and during the claims process.

Homeowners’ Property Damage Claim-Do You Need an Attorney?

Homeowners’ Property Damage Claim-Do You Need an Attorney?

Unfortunately, a terrible storm moved through your area. It left fallen trees and damaged homes in its wake. Your house was one of them. You have never filed a claim with your homeowners’ insurance company. But you now have a homeowners’ property damage claim-do you need an attorney?

How to Negotiate a Fire Damage Insurance Claim

How to Negotiate a Fire Damage Insurance Claim

One of the most traumatic events experienced by homeowners is a fire in their homes. Certainly, the potential for serious injury can be significant. However, the relief that no one was harmed soon fades away as the reality of the property damage sinks in. Now, one key question for the homeowner will be how to negotiate a fire damage insurance claim settlement.

Insurance Claims for Poorly Installed Stucco

Insurance Claims for Poorly Installed Stucco

Stucco is a popular siding used on new developments, homes, and businesses since the early 1900s. Manufacturers make it of cement, limestone, and silica. In fact, it has become very popular in the last 20 years. However, when not installed properly, it can lead to several problems. Therefore, some homeowners will have to file insurance claims for poorly installed stucco.

Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates

Don't Wait - Get More

Get a free 1 hour consultation on your next call. So call today and challenge the insurance company narrative on your policy claim. We can help you with all your public adjuster claims support. Let us help you get more.

public adjuster service areas background

Join Our Newsletter

Do you want to learn more about public adjusting. In this newsletter we create helpful tips and hints and you will receive notifications when we post new articles.

Follow Us

Follow us on the following social networks.

Call Us Now