Written by Andy Gurczak

October 15, 2021

Public adjuster vs Attorney: How Do You Decide?

Public adjuster vs Attorney: Do You Need a Public Adjuster-Or a Lawyer?

A hurricane has damaged your home or business. You file an insurance claim with your insurer. The insurance company sent an adjuster to inspect your property. Indeed, he was very courteous and professional.

However, the insurance company has offered to settle your claim at an amount you feel is too low. Or the company denies your claim. Therefore, do you need a public adjuster to help you out?

Or do you need to hire a lawyer? Public adjuster vs attorney? How to decide?

Public Adjuster VS Attorney Deciding

Public Adjuster vs Attorney: What is a Public Adjuster?

The claims adjuster the insurance company will send to inspect your property damage may be a staff adjuster for the insurance company. Alternatively, the company sent an “independent” adjuster. That person, although not an employee, also works for the insurance company during the claims process.

Therefore, both those adjusters are looking to save money for the insurance company. The insurance company is not necessarily acting in bad faith. However, they are looking to pay as little as possible to settle your claim.

Conversely, a public adjuster works for the insured property owner. The insured pays the public adjuster for his services. A public adjuster is state-licensed or has a non-resident license.

The job of a public adjuster is to review your policy for covered events and policy limits. Then he inspects your damaged property and prepares a report showing the repair or replacement costs. He will help you file a claim.

Next, he will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. Furthermore, he will try to get you a better settlement than the insurance company may be offering.

On the other hand, if the insurance company is making a good offer, he will tell you that.

Public Adjuster VS Attorney Public Adjusters

Public Adjuster vs Attorney: When Do You Need a Public Insurance Adjuster?

If your property has been significantly damaged, you may need a public adjuster. As stated above, any adjuster sent by the insurance company works for the company. On the other hand, the public adjuster you hire looks out for your best interest. Therefore, he will prepare a report and forward it to the insurance company.
In addition, he may meet with the insurance company’s adjuster to see if they can come to a mutual understanding of the repair or replacement costs. He will then negotiate a fair settlement of your claim with the carrier.
On the other hand, the insurance company’s adjuster may have already assessed the damage to your property. Therefore, you may have received a settlement offer from the company. However, you think the offer is too low.
Consequently, you have hired a public adjuster. The public adjuster will inspect your damaged property and prepare his report discussing the damages. Then he will make estimates of the costs to repair or replace the damaged property.
Next, he will forward his report to the insurance company. Then he will negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company.
Finally, the public adjuster and the insurance company will hopefully agree on a settlement amount that is acceptable to you.

Public Adjuster vs Attorney: When Do You Need an Attorney?

In the scenario above, a public adjuster is probably the first person to call for professional help. The public adjuster is cheaper than an attorney. In fact, an attorney will take your case for a 30-40% contingency fee, whereas a public adjuster charges 10% of the settlement. Moreover, the public adjuster will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.

Additionally, law firms will have to hire a public adjuster or contractor anyway to prepare a report with estimates of repair costs. You have already done that if you hire a public adjuster first.

You may need a lawyer if the insurance company will not increase its settlement offer. In that case, the attorney may have to sue the insurance company. Most likely, the public adjuster you initially hired will act as your expert witness in the case.

You may also want to hire an attorney if the event involved the spilling or leaking of toxic substances. This could lead to a government investigation of violations of environmental rules and regulations. The attorney could direct your investigation of the leak. Therefore, attorney-client privilege would protect the investigation.

Public Adjuster VS Attorney Attorneys

If You Need a Public Adjuster, Call AllCity Adjusting

We are a family-owned claims company with five decades of combined adjusting experience. As a result, if there’s one thing we understand, it’s that you need 100% of your claim value.

Insurance companies undervalue your claim 8 out of 10 times. Moreover, they hire expensive adjusters to ensure they maintain a strong profit margin. Additionally, they have experienced actuaries that create insurance agency guidelines that help their team of agents to challenge your insurance claim’s validity.

We understand that you have already gone through a tumultuous event. For this reason, get an agency that gets you more.
At AllCity Adjusting we work to ensure you get 100% of your claim value. Equally important, with over 50 years of combined adjusting experience, we know insurance companies. Furthermore, we understand where they cut corners.

Moreover, we help you build a larger claim and maximize your claim value. In short, we get you back to normal fast. Don’t get fooled, get the company that gets you more.

Public Adjuster VS Attorney Family

free claim review

Best way to beat the insurance company is to hire AllCity Adjusting

At AllCity Adjusting we help residential and commercial clients alike get the claims support they need. Moreover, we have over 50 years of combined experience helping get our clients the max settlement time and time again. If your claim has been low balled or denied entirely we can help increase your maximum settlement. Call us today for a FREE consultation. Experience the AllCity difference.

public adjusting call support

Real Support When You Need It!

Should You Make Your Own Insurance Claim Repairs?

Let’s say you had a small fire in your home. Faulty electrical wiring caused the fire. Of course, someone will have to tear down parts of the wall where the fire started. Then someone will have to hang new sheetrock and paint it. You’re pretty handy around the house. You’re thinking, should you make your own insurance claim repairs? Is there any way to get your insurance claim check faster?

What Are Some Common Business Insurance Claims?

Certainly, almost all businesses, from large corporations to mom-and-pop stores, will probably face some type of accident or incident that will become an insurance claim. Below we will discuss some common business insurance claims that businesses across the country must confront.Is there any way to get your insurance claim check faster?

How Does Home Repair Insurance Work?

How Does Home Repair Insurance Work?

Homeowners’ insurance will cover damage from unexpected and sudden perils, like hurricanes, fires, and hail. However, it excludes insurance coverages if the damage stems from everyday use and wear and tear to appliances, HVAC systems, etc. Therefore, if you feel you need insurance coverage for those items, you need to know the answer to the question: how does home repair insurance work?

How to File a Roofing Insurance Claim

How to File a Roofing Insurance Claim

Your roof is the primary protection for your home from the elements. Of course, the wind is probably the most dangerous element to your roof. However, roofs also get damaged by falling trees, electrical poles and wires, hail, and heavy snow. If a storm or some other unexpected event damages your roof, you will have to know how to file a roofing insurance claim.

How to Get Flood Insurance

How to Get Flood Insurance

Homeowners’ insurance protects homes from damages caused by fire, hurricanes, windstorms, and other natural disasters. However, standard homeowners’ insurance does not cover damages caused by floods. Consequently, homeowners and renters who live in a high-risk zone for flooding need to know how to get flood insurance.

commercial mold cleanup and restoration

commercial mold cleanup and restoration

If you have found mold in your business, you should be concerned. For instance, properly removing mold can be expensive and difficult to do correctly. Mold in your business can be dangerous for your health, and that of your employees, customers and visitors. However, commercial mold cleanup and restoration is necessary if you want to keep operating your business.

Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates

Don't Wait - Get More

Get a free 1 hour consultation on your next call. So call today and challenge the insurance company narrative on your policy claim. We can help you with all your public adjuster claims support. Let us help you get more.

public adjuster service areas background

Join Our Newsletter

Do you want to learn more about public adjusting. In this newsletter we create helpful tips and hints and you will receive notifications when we post new articles.

Follow Us

Follow us on the following social networks.

Call Us Now

All City Adjusting

All City Adjusting